Sunday, February 26, 2012

Monterrey Chicken Casserole

I'm really trying to be prepared for the week in advance.  I don't really like to wait around to eat when I get home, so I've decided casseroles and soups are the way to go.  They last well and they are easy to make.  I found this recipe and thought it was worth a try. This should be good for at least 3 - 4 days between my husband and me.  Mike REALLY liked this one!! 


  • nonstick cooking spray
  • 6 6 inches corn tortillas, each cut into 6 wedges 
  • 2 cups cubed cooked chicken 
  • 1 cup loose-pack frozen whole kernel corn 
  • 1 16 ounce jar salsa verde 
  • 3 tablespoons light dairy sour cream 
  • 3 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro 
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour 
  • 1 cup crumbled Mexican Chihuahua® cheese or crumbled farmer cheese (4 ounces) 
  • Cheese (optional)
  • Light dairy sour cream (optional) 
  • Snipped fresh cilantro (optional) 
  • Chopped tomato (optional) 
  • Jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced (optional) 
I don't have any pictures, but you need to bake about 6 tortillas on 350 for about 5 - 10 minutes or until brown to put on the top of this casserole.  



 Cube up the chicken.  I cheated and bought a pre-cooked chicken and just cut up the breast

Mix the chicken, corn, salsa, the 3 tablespoons sour cream, cilantro, and flour

 Put mixture in a casserole dish and cook on 350 for  20 minutes


 Add baked tortilla chips to the top of the casserole 

 Cover with cheeses 

 White cheese

 Bake another 5 - 10 minutes until heated through

**If desired, garnish with additional sour cream, jalapeno slices, cilantro, and tomato. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someday, I hope you find the recipe for Fiesta salad the way that the cooks at Stockard used to make it.

Hilary said...

Looks good!